Drywall Contractor Houston Tx
Is water corrosive to drywall?
Drywall, one of the main building materials in a house, is also a common target for water damage. Drywall is cost-effective, quick to install, and easy to cut to size. Drywall is used to build walls and ceilings in most homes. However, it can be damaged by water from either the top or bottom.
Water and Drywall Drywall Contractor Houston Tx consists of a panel of rigid panels made from white gypsum and mineral rock, sandwiched between thick exterior papers. It absorbs water easily, which is its main disadvantage. It can lead to water-related problems, such as the following:
- Drywall tends to retain water once it is saturated.
- The absorbent gypsum material pulls water up into the material like a sponge. As long as there is no water, any water that pools on the floor can be absorbed into the drywall.
- Drywall may lose its structural rigidity, sag, bulge, or even completely collapse due to moisture exposure. Water exposure can cause the drywall to become distorted and cannot be repaired. Drywall must be replaced.
- The absorbent drywall can be permanently contaminated if the water source is polluted with sewage or other toxic substances. It should be removed and replaced with new material.
- Even if there are no contamination or structural issues, ceiling drywall damaged by water can often look stained and need to be repaired.
Mold & Drywall
The growth of toxic mold can also be encouraged by water-damaged drywall. It is porous and can stay wet for a long time. Dormant mold spores will become active when exposed to water. This will infect the panel both internally and externally. It is difficult to treat drywall that has been infected with mold. The best course of action is usually to remove and replace the drywall.
Dry Wall Houston Tx
(346) 450 6410